A recent study by Feeding America found that over 1,012,500 Virginians are considered “food insecure.” This represents a 54% increase since 2006. A large number of these individuals are children, senior citizens, disabled adults, and the new face of hunger – individuals who have lost their jobs and are having problems making ends meet. Summertime is typically one of the most challenging times for food banks in Virginia, especially with the number of children who are out of school and do not have access to before and after school feeding programs.
In response to this urgent need, Governor Bob McDonnell, The Virginia Chamber of Commerce and the Federation of Virginia Food Banks are joining efforts in 2012 to create the first Chamber of Commerce Challenge Food and Fund Drive — a food and fund drive competition among all Virginia Chambers of Commerce, their member businesses, and state government offices. In this friendly competition, the Chamber or government office that raises the most pounds of food will be awarded a prestigious and highly coveted “Governor’s Bowl” in the categories of small, medium, and large for Chamber offices and a special bowl for the top government office.
During our last fiscal year, (the Central Food Bank) distributed 513,637 pounds of grocery products through 6 partner agencies in Mecklenburg County:
- Amazing Bibleway Church ~ Clarksville
- Lake County Area on Aging ~ Mecklenburg
- Holy Name Church of Jesus ~ Mecklenburg
- Young Memorial C. O. G. I. C. ~ Mecklenburg
- Mecklenburg Senior Citizens ~ Mecklenburg
- SOuth Hill Breadbox Company ~ Mecklenburg
May 28 through July 4
Drop off Locations:
- Clarksville Lake Country Chamber of Commerce, 105 Second St.,
- Virginia Avenue Mall 317 Virginia Avenue
- Dollar General Market 1013 Virginia Avenue
- Southside Marine & Auto 916 Noblin Farm Road
Canned Meats & Fish, Canned Fruits & Vegetables, Peanut Butter, Hot & Cold Cereals Pasta & Rice or,